Wednesday, September 30, 2015

One Month Down!!‏  (note from editor/mom: This letter was sent September 23)
https://bay167.mail.live.com/ol/clear.gifhttps://bay167.mail.live.com/ol/clear.gifhttps://bay167.mail.live.com/ol/clear.gifhttps://bay167.mail.live.com/ol/clear.gif           Hola everyone! It´s been a crazy week! First off, I'm sad that Elder Richard G. Scott passed away but he's finally at rest and we all know that he is happy and with our Heavenly Father. I want to share this quote with you that I love! "My mission belongs to the Lord with all my heart I give my energy and my time to the Master, because I love HIM. Therefore, ´'m going to look at everyday not as mine, but as His. And I will treat each minute of his time with respect and focus and the dedication that it deserves." - M. Rusell Ballard.
            I love that quote and it is so true. This isn't my time, it's the Lords. Well, this week was kind of slow.  I´m getting sick again :( but hopefully I only get sick in the CCM and never in the field! (knock on wood).
 I'm going to start with Saturday because that was a crazy day!! We proselyted on Saturday. So around 1:30, my district and some Latinos drove to the Lima East Mission. We got there and my companion and I were put with a member and an RM that teaches at the CCM. Our goal was to find all the less actives on our list and invite them to stake conference.... Easier said than done. Why? Because all the houses are on the sides of mountains and an address system is non-existent!!! After the first two attempts, we decided to just start contacting. It was awesome. I was in complete shock for the first half hour but I could kind of understand the people and I shared the Restoration with a lot of people. It also helps that we had some people that actually knew the language.
We were supposed to be done by 5, so at 4:30 the RM said that we had one more chance to contact. My companion and I saw this lady doing her laundry outside and we both felt the need to talk to her. We walked up and when she saw us she was beaming! Apparently she is the sister of a Bishop. She went on a mission and married a less active and now she doesn´t go to church. She invited us into her home which is really a rectangle room that fits two beds and a couch. She gave us water and we talked to her about coming to church on Sunday. She said she would!! She was so cute, she had the cutest little kids and they were so funny!! They were so cute! :) It´s awesome to see how the Lord works in people's lives. He knew that we would be climbing up a mountain and He told us that we needed to talk to her. All in all, it was awesome! We placed 4 Book of Mormons and 6 pamphlets. I was SO sore! I was also in shock at how humble and kind the people are. They have nothing and yet they love their lives so much.
On Sunday, we learned about how to study the scriptures better. I´ve decided that I’m going to try to visualize the stories when I study. Pretend that you are there while Ammon is teaching King Lamoni, or while Nephi is building the boat. I have found that I pay a lot more attention by doing that. And I have found that I LOVE the book of Alma!! It´s an awesome book!! :) New people came which means that I´m an avansado!! One more P-day and I’m out!
Camila AND Jose (our teachers) are going to get baptized so that's cool. It took a lot of patience on my end but hey, they're happy!
One of the sister missionaries here is a convert and when we watched The Testament (a beautiful movie about the coming of Christ to the Americas) I told her that it was amazing that we are teaching those people. She didn´t know that the South American people are descendants of the Lamanites. She started crying, and the spirit was so strong! it was awesome!
So today... apparently the CCM forgot that only 20 people can fit inside a session room so they schedule 2 groups of 20 to fit in one temple session. So my group didn´t get to go to the temple today. :( Instead, we sat in the visitor's center and read 3 Nephi 11 and 12 as a district. That was awesome.
I'm starting to get tired of the CCM but it's alright, I’m just learning patience! I love you all! The Language is Muy Bien! Have a great week!!  - Hermana Hicken

Mi compañera and me.

Hna Perez (orange shirt) and Huber, they helped us get used to the CCM.
The Lima North mission is TINY (under her fingertip)


One elder is also going to Lima north but you can't have one elder in a picture with all hermanas,
so his companion had to be in our picture. It was hilarious!!!


Our wonderful elders!
Llama ties for dad, brothers and friends


My Spanish scripture cases!


1 comment:

  1. It's sobering to think that we in the United States really don't know what "poor" means. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete